What To Ask At An Orthodontic Consultation

THE INITIAL ORTHODONTIC consultation is a critical step in your orthodontic treatment process. One of the best things you can do to prepare is to think about the kinds of questions you want to ask the orthodontist. Here are just a few to get you started.

How Long Will My Treatment Take?

Every patient has their own specific orthodontic needs, which means their treatment will be unique. Make sure to ask the orthodontist for an estimate on long your own treatment will take and what factors influence that timeline. The length and complexity of your treatment will also determine how much it costs.

How Do I Brush And Floss Around My Braces?

We sometimes take brushing and flossing our teeth for granted when we don’t have braces. It’s a fairly simple process to clean all of our teeth’s surfaces and get in between with a string of floss. With braces, it can be trickier, because there are many more places for pieces of food to get stuck, which also happen to be harder to reach with braces in the way. That’s why it’s important to ask the orthodontist for advice on how to keep your teeth clean with the braces on!

What Foods Should I Avoid?

You may have heard of the banned foods list orthodontic patients have to follow, and there’s a good reason for that. Having braces can make it difficult or impossible to eat certain types of food comfortably, and some foods can actually put the appliance in danger of breaking. Make sure you leave your consultation knowing which foods you should leave off your grocery list during your orthodontic treatment.

What Do I Do If Something Breaks?

Accidents happen to everyone, including orthodontic patients. A bracket may come loose or break, an archwire may snap, or any number of other complications could come up. It’s a good idea to get some early advice from the ortho on what to do in those kinds of situations so that you’ll be ready for them.

What Options Do I Have For My Treatment?

Because everyone’s teeth and situations are different, there is no one-size-fits-all solution in orthodontic treatment. Ask the orthodontist if traditional braces are the most effective option for you, or if you might do better with a different approach, such as invisible aligners.

How Can I Help My Teeth Move Into Place On Schedule?

Many factors besides the starting position of the teeth can impact the speed of orthodontic treatment, including the actions of the patient! Depending on what you do, your treatment can either finish on time or become delayed, so make sure you have a clear idea of what you need to do to stay on track!

Come See Us With These And All Your Other Questions!

Here at our practice, we can’t wait to start working with you on helping you reach your healthy, straight smile goals, and the first step is making sure all your questions are answered. If you haven’t already scheduled your initial consultation, give us a call today!

We love giving our patients more reasons to smile!

The content on this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of qualified health providers with questions you may have regarding medical conditions.

Top image used under CC0 Public Domain license. Image cropped and modified from original.

8 Responses to What To Ask At An Orthodontic Consultation

Larry Weaver says:

Thanks for the orthodontist tips. I think I need to meet with an orthodontist. I'll be sure to find one I can have a consultation with. https://cpdowhitehouse.com/our-services/braces-for-all-ages/

Ashley Johnson says:

I liked that you explained that one thing that you should ask your orthodontist before receiving work is how long the appointment will take. I would imagine that taking off work to go to an orthodontist would be required for working adults. I will be sure to ask my orthodontist how long the appointment will take so that I will be sure to be back to work by a certain time.

Angela Waterford says:

I think I'll ask an orthodontist what foods I should avoid if I get braces. Thanks for mentioning that I should ask them how I should brush and floss once I get them. Since you mentioned that I should ask how long the treatment will take, I hope that I find an efficient orthodontist who can speed up straightening my teeth. https://smileadc.com/dental-care-services/

Rosie Beckett says:

My daughter needs to get braces for her overbite and we want to make sure that we find a great orthodontist. You make a great point that we should schedule a consultation and find out how long my daughter will need braces. Also, I think it would be a good idea to ask about the orthodontist's experience and success with previous clients. https://www.huxtableorthodontics.com.au/services

Dean Phillips says:

I thought it was interesting how you said that each patient has their own orthodontic needs so their treatment will be unique. My son has been complaining about headaches and pain around his adult teeth that are growing in. It might be time for us to take him to an orthodontist to see if he needs braces. http://www.centraloregonortho.com

David Johnson says:

I am very grateful for this article, especially where you talk about it being important to ask how to brush and floss around braces, because there are lots of places food can get stuck and be hard to reach. In my opinion, having a consultation would be really important because the orthodontist would be able to give you advice for your specific braces and mouth, and give tips and tricks individualized to you! I will have to look for an orthodontist who can help answer these questions.

Jeremy says:

Thank you for showing the best information.

Daphne Gilpin says:

I like your suggestions to ask the orthodontist about what to do if something breaks so you can get some early advice about what to do in those kinds of situations. My husband and I just found out our daughter needs braces, so we're trying to find info about how to choose an orthodontist. I wasn't sure what kinds of questions to ask, so your tip about emergencies will really help. https://boleybraces.com/about-orthodontics/orthodontist/