Health Benefits Of Straight Teeth

HAVING STRAIGHT TEETH isn’t just about looks! Did you know that there are several health benefits to having straight teeth? So, if you’re wondering whether or not to get braces, don’t just think about the aesthetic benefits. Think about all the things your straight teeth will do to improve your health!

Straight Teeth Are Easier To Clean

It’s difficult to get into the nooks and crannies between teeth when they are crooked or crowded, making flossing and brushing more difficult. Overlapping teeth can even trap food particles, leading to plaque buildup and a higher risk of tooth decay. Straight teeth allow for easier brushing and flossing and thus, less plaque!

Crooked Teeth May Cause More Frequent Headaches

Headaches and neck pain are much more common in those with crooked teeth. This is because crooked teeth place stress on the gums and bone structure that support teeth. Jaw misalignment, which can be corrected by orthodontic treatment, is also a big contributor to chronic headaches as well as face or neck pain.

Eating Is Easier With Straight Teeth

Did you know that crooked or crowded teeth may compromise chewing? Misaligned and crowded teeth often reduce the effective surface area available for chewing food. This can place unnecessary stress on your jaw which can lead to pain and discomfort. Crooked teeth can cause abnormal tooth wear. Tooth on tooth pressure, especially when uneven, can cause cracks and chips in teeth. Such wear and tear over time can be detrimental to tooth enamel and may require special treatment to repair.

Your Overall Health Is Also Benefited

Put simply, straight teeth make keeping your pearly whites clean much easier and more manageable. Better oral hygiene prevents gum disease and tooth decay. Decreased plaque also reduces your risk for bigger health problems, such as heart disease and diabetes.

Straight Smile, Healthy You!

Not only do straight teeth improve your oral and overall health, a corrected smile is shown to improve self-esteem and confidence—which in turn leads to various other health benefits. So remember, your braces do more than just beautify your smile, they’re giving rise to a healthier, happier you!

Thank you for your continued loyalty to our practice!

Image by Flickr user Andres Rodriguez used under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 license. Image cropped and modified from original.

The content on this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of qualified health providers with questions you may have regarding medical conditions.

8 Responses to Health Benefits Of Straight Teeth

Taylor Hicken says:

It's wonderful when you shared having straight teeth will ensure that you have better oral hygiene while preventing gum disease and tooth decay. My sister just told me the other day that she is planning to improve the look of her teeth since she thinks it might help with her confidence issue, as well as health problems as she keeps on having toothache lately. I will suggest to her going to a reliable dentist who can help fix them so they will look great and prevent any potential risks of diseases. https://www.middletondentalcare.com/dental-services/cosmetic-dentistry/

Greta James says:

Wow, thank you for informing me that crooked teeth often cause headaches as the jaw isn't aligned. Yesterday, I was talking to my sister, and she mentioned that she feels self-conscious about her smile because it is crooked. I wonder if she should look into services that could help her show off that beautiful smile! https://shinedentalteam.com/services/invisalign-clear-braces

Dennis Sanchez says:

It would never have occurred to me that having straight teeth makes eating easier. My son isn't quite old enough to need braces, but that is something I definitely want to provide for him. It would probably be important to research what form of teeth straightening would be best for him. https://www.bestbethesdasmile.com/invisalign

Finley Moreira says:

It's interesting to me how you mentioned that straight teeth are beneficial since they are easier to clean thus lowering incidence of gum disease and plaque. My wife has been telling me how she wants braces, but I always thought they only provided an aesthetic benefit. I wouldn't mind getting her braces if it means her oral health will be easier to maintain in the future. http://www.southshoresmilesnwi.com/services/#braces

Jane Ambrose says:

My daughter is almost old enough to start the process or straightening out her teeth, so I wanted to do some research on what its benefits are and why it'll be good for her. Before reading this, I didn't know that people with crooked teeth are more prone to headaches because of the pressure it places on the bone structure. It seems like straight teeth will not only be good for her confidence, but her health as well. Thank you for the information. http://www.orthodonticclinic.com.au/orthodontic-appliances

Annika Larson says:

We are looking at getting my son braces. He has fairly straight teeth, but they still need some help. I did not realize that there are so many benefits to having straight teeth! From cleaning to headaches to eating, the benefits are definitely worth it! Thanks for sharing! http://www.dentistryranchocucamonga.com/services

Tomas Killington says:

I've been wanting to get braces for a long time. I knew that braces straightened teeth and made them look great. I didn't consider that having straight teeth makes them a lot easier to clean because there are proper gap sizes between each tooth. That makes me want to consider braces even more! http://www.matunasortho.com/

Luke Smith says:

I like all of the benefits of having straight teeth through braces. I didn't know that having crooked teeth could cause more headaches, that is something I would not what to have. It just seems that there are really good benefits like making eating, and cleaning a lot easier. http://www.orthoclinic.net.au/treatments/adults/braces/